September 2016

Tuesday, March 29, 2016

The Best Laid Plans...

...sometimes get revised. Life is a little like the synopsis for my current work-in-progress. I think I know how things are going to go, but sometimes, my characters throw me a curve ball.

So it is with our plans for the big cruise. We'd intended to fly out to San Diego on Friday, spend a leisurely evening there and board the ship around noon on Saturday. Then we heard that the pilots' union for the airline we booked may go out on strike on Friday. They have rejected the company's offer and the 90 day cooling off period ends Thursday. Even if they have a little slow down--a sick out, for example--on Friday, we could be totally screwed, sitting in a midwestern airport waiting to be rebooked on another carrier while our ship sails off into the sunset.

So we decided to be pro-active.

ROAD TRIP!

We had the oil changed on the van. Made all the last minute arrangements to leave early, booked some hotel rooms along the way and decided to take the scenic route. It'll take 3 hard days of driving to cover the over 1700 miles between here and there. Those southwestern states are oh, so big. So we'll be heading out at oh:dark-thirty tomorrow morning.

On the plus side, I no longer have to worry about how heavy my suitcase is. On the minus side, I'm probably overpacking now.

Mack and Charlie are not too happy. They think suitcases are phooey. Nothing good ever comes a dog's way when those things come out of the closet. But they have a designated dog nanny who loves them and will stay with them while we're gone so they don't even have to leave home.

If this is the worst thing that happens on our trip, it's not so bad. Now we get to wander through Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico, and Arizona before we reach the Golden State.

I'll send you pics from along the way. Thanks for coming with me! Oh! And if you haven't signed up to Follow by Email, now's the perfect time. Just input your email addie in the form under my photo, confirm and you're good to go!

5 comments:

  1. Good luck!! I've done part of that trip from Minnesota to Las Vegas (the OK, NM, AZ part) when my youngest was 3 months old. He's almost 24 now. Four kids in a minivan back before dvd players for cars were invented. Enjoy the scenery, stop and take pictures. Can't wait to hear about the cruise.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Eileen. I'm excited too! I haven't traveled out Interstate 40 since I was a kid. I'll keep you posted.

      Delete
  2. Lexi. I'd love to hear how your drive went. We're going to be driving to the RWA conference in July--Midwest to San Diego, just like you. Was I-40 a good route to take?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I'd recommend it. Not too much truck traffic. Lots of different types of scenery. We went I40 to Flagstaff, I-17 down to Phoenix, then I-10 west for a couple of exits before taking Hwy 85 south to connect with I-8 at Gila Bend. Hwy 8 is a divided hwy, but not an interstate. Still a very good road. Safe travels, m'dear!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops, I meant 85 was a divided hwy. I-8 is interstate.

      Delete