September 2016

Sunday, March 27, 2016

Easter Thoughts

When we travel, I tend to gravitate to art museums. There's just something about art that makes me think, makes me feel, and nourishes my soul. A few years ago, we were blessed to take a cruise around the British Isles. In Glasgow, we went to the Kelvingrove Museum. Not only is it a spectacular building, the collection is very rich.

I was delighted to discover that my favorite Dali painting, Christ of St. John of the Cross, was on display there. I'd seen it in books and online numerous times, but to be able to gaze on this huge canvas in real life was a deeply moving experience.

I love a number of things about this work. First, there's the almost geometrical balance, the triangles formed by the cross beams and Christ's arms. There's a perfection in mathematics. To me, this speaks of the perfection of Christ's atonement.

Dali always described this work as his "cosmic" Christ. But his subconscious didn't let him keep the Savior at such a distance. Below the floating cross, humble fishing boats, like the ones in the village where the artist grew up, are tied up on the shore. Despite Dali's attempt to create a metaphysical Christ figure, his paint brush made it personal by putting in elements from his childhood home.

Lastly, the perspective of this painting intrigues me. It's a God's eye view. It reminds me that whenever God looks at me, he sees Jesus first. I can't tell you what a relief that is!

This painting has caused a lot of controversy over the years. When it was first displayed in 1951, some folks thought the Point of View was a stunt. Others were offended because there's no blood visible on the Christ figure. In 1961, a viewer even threw a stone at the painting and tore the canvas with his bare hands.

But when I look at the painting, I see my Savior suspended above this troubled world, covering my sins and forming a bridge to God with His own body, And it fills me with thankfulness and peace.

__________________________

Lexi and her husband are traveling again in a week. They'll be cruising to the South Pacific, where she hopes to discover some of the places that inspired the impressionist master, Paul Gauguin.

Want to come along on Lexi's new adventure? Sign up to receive her blog posts by email. Just type your email addie in the form in the right-hand column under her photo. 

That way you'll never miss a moment!  

No comments:

Post a Comment