September 2016

Friday, May 20, 2016

The Wheels Keep On Turning...


My Dear Husband found this picture of his grandfather the other day. The family legend is that this was the first car in the county where the DH grew up. His granddad saw a lot of technical innovation and advancement in his lifetime--powered flight, widespread use of electricity, and even the start of the space race.

And it got me thinking about all the changes I've seen. Yeah, I know. I'm about to date myself, but I'm willing to bet there are more than a few of you out there who remember the same shifts in how we lived. Here are a few of the things that I remember:

  • Signs in my elementary school designating it as a bomb shelter. 
  • Phone booths.
  • When TV was only in black and white.
  • When everyone thought the Beatles had long hair.
  • Calculators that were bigger than a desk top computer.
  • The VHS vs Beta debate when we decided to buy a machine that would allow us to rent our favorite movies. 
  • When we entertained our kids on long car trips with "I spy," singing silly songs, and, my personal favorite, "The Quiet Game," instead of popping a DVD into the entertainment system. 
I'd love to hear what changes YOU remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment