September 2016

Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Rumor has it...

I don't like spreading rumors. If I haven't seen something firsthand, I'm loathe to pass the info on. But...

Something happened on my recent cruise that has bothered me enough that I feel the need to write about it. Let me hasten to tell you this wasn't something that happened to me. I had a terrific time on the Carnival Dream. But, not everyone did.

I was waiting to go to one of the art auctions (no, I didn't buy anything!) and sort of caught myself eavesdropping on a conversation between two women seated near me. It went something like this:

Blue-haired grandma-type: Say, didn't you audition for the Carnival Legends show?
(The Carnival Legends is sort of a karaoke show on steroids. Passengers are chosen to sing in an end of the week production impersonating pop stars with costumes & everything.)

Pleasantly plump Thirty-something: (Smiling broadly) Yes, I did.

Blue-hair: I thought so. You were so good as Madonna.

Pleasantly: (No longer smiling) Well, you're the only one who thinks so. I wasn't chosen.

Blue-hair: Well, that's not fair. You got way more applause than those other girls.

Pleasantly: I thought so too. So before I tried out the next day to do Britney Spears, I went to the judge and asked if it was worth trying. (tearing up) He said probably not.

Blue-hair: Whyever not?

Pleasantly: He said didn't I think someone my size wouldn't be comfortable in such a skimpy costume?

At this point, I was furious on her behalf. Ever since I took up two spaces in my kindergarten picture, I've struggled with my weight. But Pleasantly was obviously happy with who she was and had worked hard on her performance prior to coming on the cruise. The only question should have been whether she could do justice to the music.

Of course, Blue-hair's opinion notwithstanding, this wouldn't be the first time someone who couldn't really sing thought they could. My own father, God bless him, can't carry a tune with a gold-handled bucket. Yet he was blissfully unaware of this fact until my sisters and I tactlessly told him when we were kids.

I'm happy to report it hasn't stopping him from trying, but he'll never be mistaken for Willy Nelson no matter how loudly he belts out "On the Road Again."

So since I hadn't seen the audition in question, I had to wonder if the judge was trying to be tactful about her singing, and had instead made the mistake of stepping big time into the issue of her size. I didn't have all the information. I tried to reserve judgment, but I was still quietly steaming on her behalf.

Then another Carnival employee came over. He apologized for eavesdropping (something I neglected to do!) but he couldn't help overhearing. If true, he said, it should never have happened. He encouraged her to go to the office and report the incident. It was totally unacceptable.

He was very sympathetic and supportive. His response went a long way toward mitigating how awful Pleasantly felt. And settled me down as well.



The thing is, Pleasantly was on vacation. She wasn't trying to make a career of the stage. What would be the harm in letting her perform, even if she spilled out of the costume a bit? No one had the right to make her feel bad about herself for trying something different.

The judge for the Legends Show needs to take a page from the Hard Rock Cafe.

Love All, Serve All.

Actually, I could stand to live by those words too!






4 comments:

  1. Thank goodness for that Carnival employee eavesdropping. He and you are so right!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I hope the judge gets in a spot of trouble over it too. He needs an attitude adjustment.

      Delete
  2. OMG!That was awful!!! I hope she did report it. That comment was uncalled for, whether she could sing, dance or spill out of a costume. If that employee did it once, he/she has most likely done that type of thing before.
    I really don't understand why people need to be mean.

    ReplyDelete