September 2016

Saturday, April 1, 2017

Turtle Travel Tales

from Lexi Eddings….
“Wherever you go, there you are!”~Not sure who said it first. Some sources nod to Confucius, but my money’s on Yogi Berra

I’m following a few travel blogs right now written by people who are on board world cruises. Some of the blogs are filled with wonderful photographs and vibrant descriptions of exotic ports of call. Others are more introspective and concentrate on how their travel experiences have made them feel. One couple I follow hurries off the ship in each port only to walk about in search of pizza and beer. I kid you not! Whether they’re in Aquaba or Aukland, it’s always pizza and beer. 

It reminds me of the time years ago when my in-laws went on a tour of Europe.

“Oh!” I gushed. “How wonderful! You’ll see cathedrals and castles and museums galore!”

Turns out, they’d booked a farm tour. They traveled by motor coach through half a dozen countries, visiting family farms all along the way. My DH’s parents were Iowa farmers and they were fascinated to watch European agriculture at work!   

So, I’m coming to the conclusion that travel is more often a reflection of who we are than a way to experience the world in different way.

Take me, for example.

The DH and I are camping in Springfield, MO this weekend. If you’re picturing s’mores round the campfire, you’re sadly mistaken. We “glamp.” Glamor camp. Our little 24 ft trailer has a fully functional kitchen, a 3/4 bath, a queen sized bed, and once we get hooked up to electricity at the KOA, our AC or heater is keeping us comfy. We can watch TV or connect to the campground wifi. 

Roughing it we are not.  

But I am trying a few things that I rarely do at home. If you follow me at all, you know that I am the Anti-Shopper. Whip me, beat me, don’t make me shop. So this morning, the DH & I went shopping.


Well, actually, we went buying. You see, we already knew what we wanted to get before we set out and we knew where we needed to go to get them. My mother and sisters’ definition of shopping is wandering around from store to store in search of some nameless something. “I’m not sure what I want, but I’ll know when I see it” is their battle cry.

Kill me now.

So I guess I didn’t really try anything different today. I always ninja shop. Target. Acquire. Extract. Get in. Get out. No muss, no fuss. 

And, as an old music major, I’m really running true to form this evening. The DH & I have tickets to the symphony tonight. That’s right. We camp for culture.


“No matter where you go, there you are.” Guess Confucius was right. Or maybe it was Yogi Berra. 


~~~
Lexi will be sharing more of her travels as she & her DH camp this summer. She calls it Turtle Travel because they carry their little home with them! If you'd like to follow her adventures--and she promises to have some eventually!--be sure to sign up to follow her blog by email! Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment