September 2016

Monday, November 28, 2016

OBJECT-ified!

from Lexi Eddings...

I was flipping channels the other day and ran across an ad for a show called OBJECTified. I haven't watched it, but the premise seems to be that the things we treasure reveal something about us.

Makes sense.


So, I thought I'd share one of my favorite pieces of furniture and let you decide what it tells you about me.  When most people think about a cozy reading place, they picture a window seat laden with pillows or an overstuffed recliner. 

I think about my old oak rocker.

I know, I know, it doesn’t look very comfortable. But let me assure you the memories attached to that straight-backed piece make it heavenly. You see, I rocked my two babies in that chair. When I close my eyes and listen to the homely creaking, I can almost feel their dear little heads resting on my shoulder. I smell their sweet newness, their little bodies totally limp in innocent slumber.

Then when my girls grew older, we’d read aloud together in the chair. How we laughed over Frog and Toad or the silly adventures of Winnie the Pooh. Then later, when they were too big for both of them to fit on my lap, I’d still be reading from the chair while they sprawled on the floor, chins resting on their palms. We wept together through Where the Red Fern Grows and fell in love with the world of Anne of Green Gables.

So it went through their growing up. We dove into the world of “kiddie lit” together and came out with a wealth of shared experience. We developed a private lexicon based on our readings, a way of speaking in code using favorite quotes. 

And all of it centered around that old rocker.

Now they’re grown with their own busy lives. But when I sit down to read by myself, I never feel lonely. The memory of those sweet, simple pleasures keeps me company and I know when they read by themselves, they still feel the connection we forged in those early days.


When you read, you’re never really alone.

So now, it's YOUR turn. What's your favorite piece of furniture and why? 

2 comments:

  1. I don't have any of the furniture from when my kids were little. Most of our reading was sitting on their beds. Right now, I enjoy sitting in my rocker chair in the living room. I can curl up to read and usually my pup will snuggle up next to me. I love those kinds of memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My terrier, Mack, is my writing buddy. I usually write in my recliner with Mack under the pillow on which I rest my laptop. For being an active breed, he's shown a remarkable ability to lie still for hours!

      Delete