September 2016

Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Adding Another Item to the Bucket List...

I've lived in some pretty spectacular places. In 2002, our home was perched on the side of a mountain near Park City, UT when the Olympics came to town. We've lived in bustling downtown Seattle, arguably the most caffeinated city in the world, not to mention funky, trendy and always filled with people worth watching.  For a while we called a log house in the shadow of the Big Horns of Wyoming home. Most recently, we spent seven years in New England--site of the most glorious autumns on the planet.

When we moved to the Ozarks in 2014, in some ways it felt like a retreat from the world. (Given what's happening in the world in general and our politics in particular, maybe that isn't such a bad thing!) But I figured once we settled into this sleepy little backwater, we were done with beautiful views and adventures.

I was wrong.

Welcome to the North Fork of the White River. It's only a few miles from my house. While it looks lazy enough in this picture, there are a number of stretches of rapids along this twisting waterway. Kayakers have to be careful around a few small falls.

The river is absolutely pristine. Since it's spring-fed, the water is cold, even on the hottest summer days. You can see straight to the bottom of its rocky bed. Trout leap in the shallows and birdsong fills the air.

Sometimes the river banks rise in rocky cliffs.
This one towers about 30 feet above the water's surface.

My DH went kayaking on the river with a buddy recently and wanted to share some of what he'd seen with me. So we drove to a few spots along the river where we could walk down to access points. But there's so much you can't see unless you're on the water.

You see, I didn't kayak with him because I'm on supplemental oxygen for a lung condition and my concentrator doesn't respond well to getting wet. But just the little I've seen of the White River makes me want to find a work-around. If I can figure out something, I hope to splash into that cold water next spring.

Anybody know of O2 equipment that doesn't mind getting wet?


No comments:

Post a Comment